Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Alpha, shit's goin' down." + "Aye-yai-yai-yai-YAI!!"



Zordon of Eltar & Alpha 5 - Okay so for obvious reasons I'm only gonna briefly touch on these guys. Similiar to my lack of care towards Flyguy, it's hard to get attached to these two, because they're literally NOT characters of my creation. The Rangers are throwbacks to the original five Mighty Morphin' team, but for the most part they're characters I put my own artistic ability into. Not to say I didn't try to do anything funny with my "versions" Zordon or Alpha, but there's a lack of enthusiasm on my part.

Their characters are essentially set, but were magnified, also similiar to Flyguy, by Egoraptor's take on their voices. Zordon's whole deal, especially at the very beginning with Parody Rangers 1, was based on the "Zordon's Dilemma" clip that Arin recorded years ago. I heard his Alpha impression at some point as well and by the time the inspiration had set in from his clips, it was a perfect chance to animate his characterizations of the two. They end up having kind of an abusive relationship as seen throughout the series, which is damn impressive considering it was Ego literally going back and forth talking to himself between all three voices seamlessly.

So with their characters basically already existant, for the Movie I wanted to utilize them for a different purpose throughout the long and arduous animation process. With Zordon I focused mainly on using interesting facial features and expressions, due to his lack of a body (or particular body, as you'll see in PART 2) and how I had drawn him slightly more intricately for the Movie, I had fun coming up with crazy drawings for his rants and..."gasps". Meanwhile with Alpha, he became much funner to animate than in the series, as I've realized the way I illustrate him in flash is a bunch of McDonalds food. His arms and lower body look like fries, his dome-head looks like a burger, his little arm-claw thingies look like onion rings or something...or possibly the two golden arches along with his torso that makes up the Happy Meal bag. Good lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

alpha with the TTA Alpha mask was classic enough